Re: GNUstep fails to build on SUSE 9.2

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: GNUstep fails to build on SUSE 9.2
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:02:36 +0200

David Ayers wrote:

> BK wrote:
>

>>I am trying to build GNUstep on SUSE 9.2 (virgin install with all devl
>>packages installed) but it seems to me that GNUstep doesn't like SUSE,
>>at least not 9.2.
>>
>>If I try to use the gnustep-startup package, it complains about missing
>>JPEG, TIFF and PNG libraries, which is nonsense because those libraries
>>are installed and they do show up both in Yast utility or with rpm -i. I
>>guess the GNUstep check is broken.
>

> Strange, I'll in the process of setting up an SuSE 9.2 ftp installation
> right now as I'm currently running installation tests for our software.
>  I don't suppose you still have the original config.log's of -make and
> -base around for the initial configure run.

[snip]
>>Has anybody built GNUstep on SUSE 9.2 before? Can anybody assist please?
>

> I've been installing on 9.1 a lot lately but without gui/back.  I'll see
> what happens with the 9.2 build right now in which I'll try the Startup
> script.

Well after some trouble with my external drive on which I store the
virtual machines for testing and finally getting all the -devel packages
prerequisites for -gui/-back installed, I get a clean build of the
Startup script on SuSE 9.2 but I seem to have issues with the fonts not
being found.

I can verify that there is a non-empty nfont wrapper at:
/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Fonts/Helvetica.nfont

yet when starting an application I get are:
The font specified for NSFont, Helvetica, can't be found.

multiple times before I get an empty alert panel.

Sorry, I don't have time to look at this myself right now but I'll save
the session for later inspection.

Cheers,
David