Re: Configuring WindowMaker with GWorkspace

From: Chris Vetter
Subject: Re: Configuring WindowMaker with GWorkspace
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:07:05 +0200

On 2006-07-13 13:05:33 +0200 goetz.markgraf@t-online.de wrote:
[...]
- How do the dock/clip of wmaker work together with GWorkspace dock?

Window Maker has nothing to do with GNUstep, except that it is the window manager that best supports GNUstep. However, Window Maker is an X11 application and uses its own "framework" (called WINGS) that only looks similar to GNUstep "widgets."

- Is there any way to integrate running applications into the
GWorkspace-dock that way the wmaker-dock works (dnd or any other
GUI-way)? My goal is to disable wmaker dock/clip totally.

As for GNUstep applications (and the stuff in GWorkspace's Application Wrappers), you can simply drag and drop Applications from the 'Finder' to the Dock (GWorkspaces' dock, that is) and then launch them from there.

This won't work for plain X11 applications. Unless there's an application wrapper, like Acrobat.app

- Is there any possibility to show running applications on the
GWorkspace-dock like the mac does (showing all running app-icons, no
matter if they exists an icon before starting)?

I'm not sure I understand this question. If you launch an application, the dock would display its icon.

- How do I prevent wmaker from showing appicons once they are on the
GWorkspace-dock?

To prevent GNUstep from creating application icons when they are starting, do the following:

  $ defaults write NSGlobalDomain GSSuppressAppIcon YES

I'm not sure how to do this for X11 application icons that are created by Window Maker directly (since I do not use Window Maker).

Last but not least I have two questions concerning wmaker alone:
- Is there a way to group different appicons together? Example:
OpenOffice. The Icon on the dock returns to its "not started" status,
once the writer or any other OOo-application is up. The writer and the
OOo-Starter are different applications with different app-icons.
- Is there a way to display appicons for applications that don't show
an appicon themselves (e.g. xman)

At least the last question is answered in Window Maker's FAQ.

--
Chris