Re: running gnustep on a free system

From: dan hitt
Subject: Re: running gnustep on a free system
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 13:41:37 -0700

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 1:56 AM, Nicola Pero
<nicola.pero@meta-innovation.com> wrote:
> Yes - presumably you are installing gnustep to use its "graphical
> user interface" applications, so you need a graphical user interface
> environment - which on these operating systems normally means X11.
>
> Good luck! :-)

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for your confirmation.

I think your statement can almost certainly be strengthened to read
"which on these operating systems always means X11", but man
would i ever be delighted to be proven wrong.

I believe that about a decade ago one proposed project was
to replace the x11 backend with something directly using frame buffering
(athough perhaps my memory is faulty), but i guess nobody had
the bandwidth to really pursue it.

Anyhow, i do appreciate your help and your general thoughtfulness
in answering questions down through the years.

dan