help-gnutrition

Re: [help-gnutrition] Problem installing GNUtrition, Python 3.2

From: Cory Koch
Subject: Re: [help-gnutrition] Problem installing GNUtrition, Python 3.2
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:11:12 -0400

Bastien wrote:
>Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 23:02:16 +0100
>From: Bastien <address@hidden>
>To: Jason Self <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: GNUtrition
>
>Hi Jason,
>
>I'm from OLPC France (http://olpc-france.org) and we spent some time
>last year designing mockups for a nutrition activity for Sugar, the
>platform that runs on the XO (the computers from the OLPC Foundation
-> http://laptop.org)

>I'm interesting in GNUtrition, as our project was somehow related.
>
>While trying to install GNUtrition on my ArchLinux machine, I got
>this error
>
>,----
>| address@hidden gnutrition-0.31]$ ./configure
>| checking for python... /usr/bin/python
>| checking for python >= 2.2... yes
>|   File "<string>", line 1
>|     import sys; print sys.version[:3]
>|                         ^
>| SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>|   File "<string>", line 1
>|     import sys; print sys.prefix
>|                         ^
>| SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>| checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
>| checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
>| checking for pygtk... configure: error:
>| **** The python interpreter can't find the python bindings for gtk.
>`----
>
>pygtk-2.24.0-3 is installed on my system and python is bound to
>python3.2.
>
>Do you know what's wrong in my setup?
>
>Do you have screenshots of your application?
>
>I'm looking forward testing GNUtrition, as it could help relaunch
>our nutrition project...
>
>Thanks for your help!
>
>--
> Bastien

----------------------------

Hi Bastien,

Bastien wrote:
>Do you know what's wrong in my setup?

Yes, Python 3.x is not backward compatible with Python 2.x.
So you will need to install Python 2.7 or anything after 2.2.
(which may already be on your system, you can run the command
' whereis python '
to see which versions are installed)

Then you will need to re-run the configure script with the PYTHON
varible set to the path of the binary of Python 2.x.

On my computer it is this:
./configure PYTHON=/usr/bin/python2.7

>Do you have screenshots of your application?

There are a few screen shots in this user manual, which is currently incomplete
but I hope it helps. [1]

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutrition/manual/index.html

--
Cory Koch