help-grub

Feature request

From: Alexey Kuznetsov
Subject: Feature request
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 12:43:49 +0300

Hello! I'm not sure where should I ask about new grub feature. Posing here.

I'd like to suggest grub simple user management to be able to unlock
encrypted harddrives with user specific password. Currently to unlock
encrypted harddisk you have to specify master encrypted LUKS key, and keep
encrypted key on a harddrive to unlock it on second stage (kernel boot) or
enter it manually second time. This can be done by grub it self with nice
additional: unlocking by user name/password pair.

User/password pairs can be stored in simple format (md5 sums for
verification user input) and correct password can restore/decrypt master
key (every user has it's own master key (which is equal for all users when
decrypted) encrypted for its name), which solves all problems: decrypting
master key with user name/password and passing master to kernel.

Not important, but looks nice feature. Have nice day!

-- AK