help-grub

Disabling the edit and command shell options in GRUB

From: Greg Silverman
Subject: Disabling the edit and command shell options in GRUB
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 00:08:54 +0000

Is there any interest or ongoing activity in GRUB development to eliminate the
ability to edit the menu or enter the command shell? For security reasons I
would like to have that option. It would be more secure than password
protection. Even if the password is well protected, just deleting the
/boot/grub2/user.cfg file eliminates the protection.

If the system does not boot from the OS disk we will be able to fix using
another boot media.

Greg Silverman