help-gsl

[Help-gsl] problem using gsl_version.h file

From: Francesco Abbate
Subject: [Help-gsl] problem using gsl_version.h file
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 10:21:41 +0100

Hi,

I have a small problem with compilation of GSL. I was willing to add a
conditional check at C source level to check the version number of
GSL. I've seen that gsl_version.h defines

#define GSL_VERSION "1.13"

but this is almost useless since C preprocessor cannot handle floating
point constants or strings but only integer and character constants.

I'm wondering why GSL does not defines a GSL_MAJOR_VERSION and
GSL_MINOR_VERSION as integer constants.

I know that many GNU software uses the autoconf tools and the related
tool chain but I'm not using autoconf on my project and I don't want
to adopt it.

Please note that the MAJOR and MINOR integer version numbers is
adopted and proposed by many software pojects.

Please let me know if there is an easy way to check the GSL version at
C preprocessor level, may be I've missed something.

Best regards,
Francesco