help-guix

Re: Recipe for latest release of firefox?

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: Recipe for latest release of firefox?
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2019 23:10:01 -0400

Hi Mike, all,

Mike Gerwitz <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 18:14:08 -0400, Christopher Lemmer Webber wrote:
>> Does someone have a recipe, or channel, for the latest release of
>> Firefox?
>
> FYI, I contacted Rubén recently asking a number of questions to
> determine whether I may be able to take up [co-]maintaining IceCat.
>
> But while I use IceCat daily, I know very little about Firefox from a
> development perspective.  So if there is anyone willing to take the time
> to answer some questions of mine to get me up to speed more quickly, I'd
> appreciate it.  If there are people who would be willing to help
> maintain IceCat, that'd be even better.  I don't have a lot of time, but
> considering that IceCat is effectively unmaintained, a little bit of
> time is better than no time.

I think I’m in a similar situation as you: I, too, use IceCat every day,
in and out of Guix, but don’t know much about Firefox internals as of
now.  I also sadly have little time on my hands, at least until the end
of this year.  But I too think a bit of time is better than none at all;
so I’d be willing to give [co-]maintaining IceCat a shot, especially if
I may have someone else’s help along the way :).

Would you please send along / Cc me in your questions thread with Rubén?

> If I don't hear back from Rubén by the end of next week, I'll either
> call him at the FSF or seek the answers elsewhere.

Rubén usually hangs out at #trisquel-dev on Fridays 12-1pm.  You may be
able to catch him there if you’re around.

> As far as packaging it for Guix goes---I can't commit to doing that
>yet,
> since I have very little experience there too and IceCat isn't the
> easiest thing to package.  But if I do take up [co-]maintainership, the
> ideal situation would be for me or someone else to update Guix the same
> day that IceCat releases are published to gnu.org, or even produce the
> releases using Guix, as Mark has done.

I feel similarly.  Ideally, a prolific Guixer would step in and continue
with the great legacy that Mark has built and left for us.  Many thanks,
Mark, for all you’ve done for us and Guix all along.