help-guix

No luck with singularity (/var/singularity/mnt/container not found)

From: Wiktor Żelazny
Subject: No luck with singularity (/var/singularity/mnt/container not found)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 16:37:19 +0100

Hi all,

I’ve never worked with singularity before. Reading “Using Guix
Without Being root” on GuixHPC blog convinced me to give it a try.
With system-wide (/etc/config.scm) singularity installation (per-user
installation gave the same errors, and sudo does not help, either):

   $ singularity selftest
   + sh -c test -f
/gnu/store/wh729j45fd68yxnrjc85072fxsna0c9g-singularity-2.6.1/etc/
(retval=0) OK
   + test -u /run/setuid-programs/singularity-action-helper
         (retval=1) ERROR
   Full output in: /tmp/tmp.mll6ICopmA

/tmp/tmp.mll6ICopmA was empty. Also:

   $ singularity shell pack.squashfs
   ERROR  : Failed to resolve path to /var/singularity/mnt/container: No such
file or directory
   ABORT  : Retval = 255

I took a look into the GUIX Manual whether there is some related service that
needs to be appended, something extra to be configured (like a user group
membership). I also checked the singularity documentation, which suggests that
the software should work out of the box. No hints. Also nothing of value from
an on-line search using the error message as the query.

I’m on GuixSD.

What could I be doing wrong?

WŻ