help-guix

Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists

From: Jimmy Thrasibule
Subject: Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 19:54:00 +0100

I tried some actions and here is what happening:

    # ls -l .config/guix/
    total 0
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            45 Jan 19 18:33 current ->
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix
    # guix pull
    Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/default'...
    Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at '
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
    [...]

When ``.config/guix/current`` is pointing to
``/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix``, the ``guix pull``
command will change the link to `` /var/guix/profiles/default`` or the
other way arround.

Calling ``guix pull`` again will fail:

    # ls -l .config/guix/
    total 0
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            39 Jan 19 18:37 current ->
/var/guix/profiles/default/current-guix
    # guix pull
    Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root'...
    guix pull: error: symlink: File exists:
"/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix"

The workaround is to link back the profile to ``per-user/root`` and delete
``/var/guix/profiles/default/current-guix*``.

It is not clear why Guix is constantly swapping the profiles this way.