help-guix

Re: Can Guix support Zen 2/AMD Ryzen?

From: jbranso
Subject: Re: Can Guix support Zen 2/AMD Ryzen?
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 02:31:47 +0000

I am kind of shooting from the hip here, others may be more knowledgeable than
me, but here is my two cents.

As a general rule, any "brand new hardware" (except server grade hardware and
Intel hardware) generally needs 3-6+ months before it has good Linux support.
So you may run into issues using the latest and greatest thing.

If you want a good GPU, then you might check out this:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nouveau-K2020-Low-End-Card
 It's a $50 graphics card that works with the libre nvidia driver (nouveau).  I
think you have to manually set the clock frequency though...All AMD graphics
cards are virtually useless on the Linux libre kernel.  AMD has proprietary
firmware, which Linux libre disables.  Nvidia is as bad.  I think the
integrated graphics from Intel works fairly well with Linux libre.

I've also run into that booting issue.  I think there is a way to disable fancy
graphics rendering during the installer, which is what I had to do, to get guix
to run on my AMD APU a few years ago.  Maybe someone here can point out how to
do that, because I'm blanking on the specifics.

If you are trying to game on Linux libre, you will probably run into some
issues.  :(