help-guix

Re: Fast `guix environment --container' switch

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Fast `guix environment --container' switch
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2020 11:37:42 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, 09 Dec 2020 at 11:13, Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> wrote:

> Maybe a misunderstanding, the question is not about --pure.  I'd like a
> `containerized hello' to start about as fast as non-containerized
> `hello', without the 1 s overhead.

Which 1s overhead?

The overhead between --pure and --container is 0.2s in both cases, which
is linux namespace creation and co.

Thereofore, on my machine, «“containerized hello” starts as fast as
“non-containerized hello”», with a 0.2s overhead.  So I am missing what
you are asking. :-)

I guess, in some case, this overhead is bigger.  That’s why I asked if
you have examples.

Cheers,
simon