help-guix

Substituting package definition for dependency

From: Paul Jewell
Subject: Substituting package definition for dependency
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 14:10:02 +0000

thermald doesn't build at the moment (bug 54061). Maxime has created some patches which get around the problem, something I confirmed by building from a local patched git repo. I would like to incorporate these patches so I can continue to update guix, until such time the patches find their way into the main repo. Is there some way I can do this? I know I can provide a different definition for a package I explicitly want to build, but how can I do this for a package built as a dependency during a "guix system reconfigure"?

Alternatively, should I be using my git clone to build my system instead of guix pull?

Apologies if this is clearly explained in the documentation - I couldn't find anything to help. If I have missed something, a pointer would be helpful!

Thanks!