help-guix

Re: Packaging existing software for Guix

From: Cássio Tavares
Subject: Re: Packaging existing software for Guix
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 22:23:24 +0000

Thanks, Vagrant.

> For changes going into upstream Guix, generally yes. Because guix is
> functional package management, you need to know the hashes of your
> inputs in advance.
>
> The exception might be that some upstream software provides a guix.scm
> to be able to build from the current git checkout. For example, the GNU
> Mes project:
>
>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/mes.git/tree/guix.scm

OK, I checked this scheme file, and it's just a four-line program, but I
don't get it. So, help me here ─ what is this *↓↓↓* `mes` code actually
doing?

(define %source-dir (dirname (current-filename)))
(add-to-load-path (string-append %source-dir "/guix"))
(use-modules (git mes))

mes.git

Thanks again,
Cássio