help-guix

Re: Combine locales

From: Sergiu Ivanov
Subject: Re: Combine locales
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 12:38:38 +0200

Hi Fredrik,

Fredrik Salomonsson <plattfot@posteo.net> [2022-09-25T01:35:12+0200]:

> One thing I cannot figure out is how to setup the operating-system to
> use English as the language but use Swedish for the date format. Similar
> to what is described in Locale Names[0] in the libc manual.
>
> I.e. on my foreign distro I have /etc/locale.conf define:
> ---✀----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LC_TIME=sv_SE.UTF-8
>
> In my operating-system configuration system I have:
> ---✀----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> (operating-system
>  ;;…
>  (locale "en_US.utf8")
>  (locale-definitions
>   (list
>    (locale-definition (name "en_US.utf8") (source "en_US") (charset "UTF-8"))
>    (locale-definition (name "sv_SE.utf8") (source "sv_SE") (charset
> "UTF-8"))))
>  ;;…
> )

I use a similar definition in operating-system, and I set up additional
locale parameters in my Guix Home configuration, using the
environment-variables field in home-bash-configuration [0].

I think it's fine if you launch everything from a shell, but it will
probably not work if you extensively use a graphical
desktop environment.

-
Sergiu

[0] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Shells-Home-Services.html