help-guix

Re: lock files

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: lock files
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 23:18:05 +0200

Hi,

Dominic Martinez <dom@dominicm.dev> skribis:

> jgart <jgart@dismail.de> writes:
>
>> Does Guix have a concept of lock files?
>
> In Guix, instead of locking specific packages, you lock an entire Guix
> installation. You can see the "lock" for your current installation with
> the 'guix describe' command.

Yes.  To complement that, see:

  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Replicating-Guix.html

BTW, I know it’s become widespread, but I find “lock file” to be a
confusing term (and indeed, Ricardo understood the historical meaning of
that term).  “Version pinning” sounds like a more accurate description
of the concept to me.

HTH!

Ludo’.