help-guix

Re: How to avoid downloading qtbase:debug

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: How to avoid downloading qtbase:debug
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 10:28:05 -0400

Hi,

Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net> writes:

> kiasoc5 <kiasoc5@disroot.org> writes:
>
>> Dear Guix,
>>
>> =guix shell qtbase= downloads the entire debug output of qtbase even
>> though I didn't write down qtbase:debug. That's hundreds of megabytes
>> of bandwith I didn't want to use. How do I avoid downloading the debug
>> output? Is this a bug?
>
> I think it should be considered a bug.  guix shell always downloads
> every output of all the packages.

Yes, that's annoying.  I think it has to do with grafts; when a package
must be grafted, all its output must be available.  Grafts complicates
many things, but unfortunately they are necessary to provide timely
security updates.

I don't see a bug anymore for that one, we should try to improve things
here; feel free to report it to bug-guix@gnu.org, perhaps with a title
like "grafts cause all outputs to be downloaded".  Perhaps a solution
would be making graft derivations substitutable (currently they happen
on the local machine).

--
Thanks,
Maxim