help-guix

Re: Guix package manager installed

From: Gottfried
Subject: Re: Guix package manager installed
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 09:12:51 +0000

Hi Ricardo,

thanks for your answer.

The behavior of “guix pull” depends on an optional channels file, either
at /etc/guix/channels.scm or ~/.config/guix/channels.scm.  If you don’t
have either of these files Guix will use sensible defaults.

I have got:
~/.config/guix/current/ a bin etc lib and share folder and a manifest file
Are those the default?

I don't have a channel file or a manifest, because I don't know yet how to set it up, and what are the advantages for me at the moment to do that. In future, when I understand the advantages to do that, I can set them up.

Do I regularly have to do a "sudo guix pull" for root?

or is it enough that I did it once for setting up guix?

If you actualy use Guix with the root user account then yes.

What would be the benefit to use Guix with the root user account?

For convenience you could link your user’s “guix” so that it is the same
for the root user; then you only need to take care of running “guix
pull” for your main user account.

How can set up a link from my user "guix" to the root user?

I guess this is also useful for my other laptop, where I have Guix system installed.

 Kind regards

Gottfried