help-guix

Errors running kicad GUI package in container

From: Peter Polidoro
Subject: Errors running kicad GUI package in container
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 12:50:25 -0400

I am trying to run a GUI package (kicad) in a container on a foreign distro (xubuntu) and I am running into several errors.

When I run the command:

guix shell kicad --container --preserve='^DISPLAY$' --share=/tmp/.X11-unix -- kicad

I get a warning about the accessibility bus:

(kicad:1): dbind-WARNING **: 16:51:56.694: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/user/1000/at-spi/bus_0: No such file or directory

Do I need to expose a directory or set some environmental variable to properly handle this warning?

Then the GUI pops up, but when I click on any icon I get the error:

Gtk:ERROR:gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /org/gtk/libgtk/icons/16x16/status/image-missing.png: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)

Does this mean the kicad package is missing some dependencies, say gdk-pixbuf?

When I try the command:

guix shell kicad gdk-pixbuf --container --preserve='^DISPLAY$' --share=/tmp/.X11-unix -- kicad

The icons appear correctly, but when I clicking on some of them causes the GUI to suddenly exit with no errors or warnings.

The kicad package appears to run correctly with the shell --pure command.

Do I need to fix something in the kicad package definition or add something to my container shell command to make it work properly? Thanks!