help-guix

Re: Can't reconnect to WiFi easily

From: Luis Felipe
Subject: Re: Can't reconnect to WiFi easily
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 00:10:45 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Friday, October 21st, 2022 at 19:27, Luis Felipe
<luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> wrote:

> § The problem(s)
>

> I lose connection twice or three times a day and the system can't connect
> back automatically when/if it loses connection.

Some annecdotal information: I stopped Jami a few days ago and the networking
service in my computer stopped giving me trouble. I thought that was odd, so I
started using Jami again to check. I had some new messages from contacts,
answered to them, and then started to have the same problems indicated below:

> When this happens, many times GNOME's WiFi indicator fails to tell me the
> real state of the connection. Sometimes there is no connection and it says
> there is, and vice versa.
>

> I used to be able to restart the networking service as follows:
>

> ❚ sudo herd stop networking
> ❚ sudo herd start networking
>

> But after upgrading my system (currently 4716cea), the first command just
> seems to hang and never returns, no matter the terminal I run it on. Ctrl+C
> does nothing.

Actually, after the networking service appears to goes down, all the following
commands hang:

#+begin_example
sudo herd status
sudo herd stop networking
sudo herd start networking
sudo herd restart networking
sudo reboot
sudo halt
sudo shepherd --help
#+end_example

Pressing =Ctrl+C= has no other effect but to print ^C. It's as if the shepherd
itself were down.

So I guess that's why I can't restart or turn the machine off from GNOME Shell
either, because GNOME's buttons call "halt" and "reboot" (?).

Is it really possible for an application like Jami to cause this problem or am
I just going loco? (Jami was upgraded with my profile at the same time I
upgraded my system)