help-guix

Re: translation programm

From: Philip McGrath
Subject: Re: translation programm
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 08:52:05 -0500

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 19, 2022, at 7:55 AM, Wojtek Kosior via wrote:

>> > If you want to edit translation files in .po file format (as used by
>> > Guix), I prefer https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PoMode that gets
>> > mentioned in the Guix manual. Alternatively there exist other programs
>> > for PO files, like GNOME Translation Editor (“guix install
>> > gtranslator”).
>>
>> I think Francis is talking about something more like a combination of Google
>> translation and bilingual dictionaries?
>>
>> If that's the case, I don't know of any options...
>
> Neither do I know any particularly good tool. There was some work on
> libre machine-learning-based translation engines, but the last time I
> checked, none of them was actually usable to me - none supported Polish
> and all had deps that were not available from APT (I was not yet using
> Guix at that time).

On these lines, the best option I’m aware of is the relatively new Mozilla
Translate: https://github.com/mozilla/translate

I don’t think it’s been packaged for Guix yet, but I don’t know of any reason
why it couldn’t be. The front-end demonstrated at
https://mozilla.github.io/translate downloads language support files on-demand,
but I think it could be patched to also package the models. Language support is
not comprehensive, but it does include Polish.

Some of the underlying work is grouped under the Bergamot project:
https://browser.mt Much of the substantive source code seems to be at:
https://github.com/browsermt/bergamot-translator I think it would be easy (but
I haven’t tried) to write a front-end in GTK, Qt, or similar instead of the
HTML+JS front-end.

Philip