help-guix

ibus + ibus-libpinyin in Gnome

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: ibus + ibus-libpinyin in Gnome
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 23:14:27 +0200

Hi Guix,

I’m still struggling with ibus + ibus-libpinyin on Gnome.
ibus-libpinyin works in the gnome-shell input field, but the input
method doesn’t work in any of the applications such as icecat, console,
or soffice.

The GTK_IM_MODULE environment variable is set to “ibus”.  I export it in
the shell and launch “soffice” or “icecat” from there.

ibus and ibus-libpinyin are installed in the system profile as well as
the user profile.  I previously had installed them only in the user
profile, but then added them to the system profile because I want to be
sure that any required environment variables are set in all contexts,
even when launching applications from the Gnome shell.

Do you have any ideas how to best debug this?  I could strace the
applications and see if any of them mention a failure to talk to ibus,
but I’d like to avoid having to sift through all that noisy trace output
for massive GTK applications.

--
Ricardo