help-guix

Re: Network error when cargo-build-system fetches dependency from extern

From: Ian Eure
Subject: Re: Network error when cargo-build-system fetches dependency from external repository specified in Cargo.toml
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 13:32:53 -0800

Hi Airi,

Airi via <help-guix@gnu.org> writes:

Hello,
I am trying to package a program using the cargo-build-system.
During the build phase, it tries to fetch a dependency specified in the Cargo.toml file, but fails with a network issue. But when built outside of Guix with a hand-typed "cargo build --release", it builds without error. It's almost as though the cargo-build-system has some kind of network sandbox that prevents fetching repos from urls during the build phase...

All Guix builds, regardless of the build-system they use, run in an isolated environment without network access, to enforce reproducible builds.

I’m not familiar with Rust or Cargo, but I believe you need to package the dependencies msdfgen-rs uses.

 — Ian