help-guix

Re: Python package with some rust dependency

From: Carlo Zancanaro
Subject: Re: Python package with some rust dependency
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:46:34 +1100

On Tue, Feb 13 2024, Alexis Simon wrote:
> Ok, this seems really counter intuitive though to go and use the cargo
> build system for a python package only have a tiny part in rust.

I'm not sure why this is counter-intuitive. The existence of any rust at
all means you need to build rust code. The normal way to do that in Guix
is to use the cargo-build-system.

Equally, I don't find it strange that the upstream build instructions[1]
ask me to install a rust compiler and cbindgen. I need to do that if I
want to build rust code.

It's also worth noting that there are 22 packages in Cargo.lock[2], so
building the one rust file in the repository is a bit more involved.

Carlo

[1]: https://molpopgen.github.io/fwdpy11/misc/developersguide.html
[2]: https://github.com/molpopgen/fwdpy11/blob/main/rust/fp11rust/Cargo.lock