help-guix

Re: Guix as a non-optional dependency in another project, and Guix resou

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: Guix as a non-optional dependency in another project, and Guix resources requirements.
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 10:32:21 -0700

Hi Andreas,

On Thu, Apr 11 2024, Andreas Enge wrote:

> So if I understand correctly, 2GB is about the amount of memory needed
> for "guix pull".

Probably.  By the way, nothing in my messages should be interpreted to
say that Guix's memory usage is acceptable.  I am merely trying to help.

> Now I have been running out of disk space, but this is another
> problem.

Please have a look at zram [1] which compresses many of your memory
pages and requires no device at all (thus saving valuable disk space),
or zswap [2] which compresses your swap pages.  The latter reduces the
size of your swap partition while keeping the same capacity. [3]

Kind regards
Felix

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zram
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zswap