Re: [Help-librejs] Switching to free JS

From: Loic J. Duros
Subject: Re: [Help-librejs] Switching to free JS
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 10:51:55 -0400

On 06/04/2012 10:43 AM, address@hidden wrote:
Jackson<address@hidden>  wrote:

How do you convince admins to make their JS free?
I could interpret your question in a couple ways: how do we contact admins and
how do we argue afterward. As far as contacting admins, I've filed a few bug
reports: the aforementioned MediaWiki, ChiliProject and StatusNet/Identi.ca,
and I contacted H-Node directly although I think that was just their Identi.ca
widget. To argue the point, I just started saying that the JavaScript is not
labeled as libre or free so that we users of the world wide web can check the
code if we want to, make sure it's safe and even use it later if we so wish. I
also give the link to the GNU explanation and to the anchor on that page to
explain how to label JavaScript as libre software.

Providing them with more information is important thing to do:
1) linking to the JavaScript Trap so that webmasters can get some "background" on why it's important to do it: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.html

2) There are also detailed instructions on what to do to the pages in question: http://www.gnu.org/software/librejs/free-your-javascript.html

Kete: When you complain, do you usually use the complaint feature? Have you found it easy to use? The next version (4.8) will include "suggestion" paragraphs that will be customized to the current website, so that you can send emails that actually talk about the JavaScript on that particular page.

Do you find the Complaint tab easy to find and notice when it pops up on the right?