Re: [Help-librejs] What about old FF versions

From: Michael Felt
Subject: Re: [Help-librejs] What about old FF versions
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 14:15:56 +0100

Thanks. I'll take a look at them. But the reason for staying with old versions is because I cannot access my firmware web-interface without them.
Someone thought it was more secure (for people like me) to be stuck at old versions rather than provide an optional plug-in (after removing 40-bit support from core).
Security has three elements: confidentiality, integrity, and availability. While it was known that 40-bit encryption was no longer secure re: confidentiality - removing it has made anything that only supported it - NOT available - so, also a security breach. Just my opinion of course.

So, I know librejs had nothing to do with that decision, no criticism intended.

However, do not think I think it is wonderful that I have to use FF17. I am getting really really tired of having to click away the message: "This version of Firefox is no longer supported. Please upgrade to a supported browser. Dismiss" on every tab I open. I am very much aware that it is an old browser.
Updating breaks security availability, so I cannot update. I hope I have enough "other measures", especially awareness - that I shall not be comprised in other areas.

Again, thanks for your suggestions!

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 6:46 PM, Loic J. Duros <address@hidden> wrote:
Nik Nyby <address@hidden> writes:

>> which version
>> worked with FF 17 - and is it still available for installation?
>
> I'm not sure which LibreJS version was last compatible with Firefox 17,
> but you can see the old releases here:
>
>     https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/librejs/
>
> I would start by trying to install LibreJS 5.4.1 from here:
>
>     https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/librejs/librejs-5.4.1.xpi
>
> Then trying previous version if that doesn't work.

If 5.4.1 doesn't work, IceCat 17.1 shipped with
LibreJS 4.9.2. So if you use 4.9.2 it should work. I'm thinking 4.9.3
would work as well, but you'd have to try.
In any case, these versions are fairly old so I'd recommend to use a more recent
version of FF/IceCat.