[Help-librejs] LibreJS behaves differently on different browsers

From: Michael Pagan
Subject: [Help-librejs] LibreJS behaves differently on different browsers
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 22:51:04 -0500

Good evening list,

I'm currently maintaining a website for a _Free Software_ project at
http://www.nongnu.org/genshiken/, which uses some JavaScript.

I followed the guidelines for LibreJS detection located at:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/librejs/free-your-javascript.html>.

The website uses an embedded JavaScript to operate the "Show Org source"
button, so that the user can view the corresponding source code used to
create the website.  It also uses an external JavaScript file called
`org-info.js', which I've identified on a weblabel located at
http://www.nongnu.org/genshiken/about/javascript.html, whose sole
purpose is to make the website behave like an Info buffer.

I noticed, however, that LibreJS behaves a bit differently on different
browsers; in my case, Trisquel's Abrowser and GNU IceCat-- both using
the latest version of LibreJS, `GNU LibreJS 6.0.10.1-let-fixed' (as
labelled under `about:addons').

There are three pages that use `org-info', each with varying results:

- For Abrowser 41.0.2 (latest version)
  + http://www.nongnu.org/genshiken/ ::
    Works like a charm.  No errors.  JavaScript _will_ execute!
  + http://www.nongnu.org/genshiken/HACKING.html ::
    _List of Accepted JavaScript ..._
    This script is free according to a JS Web Labels page visited
    recently (at http://www.nongnu.org/genshiken/about/javascript.html# )
    http://orgmode.org/org-info.js
    -----
    _List of Blocked JavaScript ..._
    NONTRIVIAL: eval has been found in code
    http://orgmode.org/org-info.js
  + http://www.nongnu.org/genshiken/about/javascript.html ::
    Same as http://www.nongnu.org/genshiken/HACKING.html-- one question,
    though: Is OK to run JavaScript on the weblabels page, or will that
    interfere with LibreJS detection?
- For GNU IceCat 38.4.0 (latest version)
  + All JavaScript is accepted on each of the above pages, but IceCat
    refuses to execute any JavaScript.  In fact, I've never been able to
    execute JavaScript with LibreJS in GNU IceCat-- even when a website
    has proper weblabels.  When I disable LibreJS in IceCat, JavaScript
    works again.  Maybe a procedure to start executing the JavaScript,
    after all checks have been passed is missing?  I'm not sure, since I
    have no experience with JavaScript, yet.

For Abrowser: It appears to accept the script in one instance, but then
blocks it another.  Please inform me if there is anything I can do on my
end to get JavaScript running for each of those pages.  Thanks in
advance, for your time and work on GNU LibreJS.

--
Michael Pagan

Trisquel GNU/Linux user