Re: [Help-librejs] LibreJS + Iceweasel + HTTPSEveryWhere = blank screen

From: Alberto Mena
Subject: Re: [Help-librejs] LibreJS + Iceweasel + HTTPSEveryWhere = blank screen
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 11:21:49 +0200

Hi Michael,

Thank you so much for your detailed and prompt response. I apologize for confusing you, the situation seems to be solved now.

Unfortunately, up to now I have had not the patience for knowing if the visited pages actually load or not, but thanks to your comments I realized that it was no normal to not see any page open during a navigation, never. In the past I also have tried the add-on with IceCat browser with the same result.

In order to recheck for the behaviour, I have switched off the other add-ons on Firefox-ESR and with just LibreJS enabled tried to access a web site waiting for a result. It finally came. The screen initially seems to freeze, blank screen with no response... yes, but this is true until LibreJS ends its analysis on the web site scripts and then the web site spots fine with nontrivial JS blocked as expected.

The delay time I see due to having LibreJS enabled is about 2-3 minutes per page. When LibreJS is disabled the access time is about just 1s. Having the LibreJS add-on enabled increases the access time per page in a crazy way leading me to actually discard using the add-on :(

Considering that LibreJS is not a high resource consumer and it should work fine when parsing js code even on systems with 1GB of RAM installed, it seems to me I am experimenting hardware problems on my laptop that prevent me from properly using this add-on (among other tasks): It is a 8 years old laptop and heats up often, so when many operations are requested it is not able to manage the situation. Even loading photos with an image viewer has become an incredible effort. Really thinking about replacing it.

 Last thing: What version of the following software are you using (it
might aid the developers in pinpointing the problem):

        * Iceweasel
        * LibreJS

Just for giving you the sw details I am using during this LibreJS test:
* Firefox ESR 45.3.0 (Iceweasel transitional package installs Firefox-ESR)
* GNU LibreJS 6.0.13 as from about:addons info

Thank you for your time and best wishes.

Best regards,
Alberto