Re: [Help-librejs] Avoiding the javascript Trap server-side

From: Igor Zobin
Subject: Re: [Help-librejs] Avoiding the javascript Trap server-side
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 02:46:20 -0500

Thank you for the elaborate response Dmitry!

> What most of them still do (despite the great progress in LibreJS I noticed
> from a user point of view) is not relying on some automatic analysers, but
> simply stick with ‘do not run’ as a default policy, possibly making some
> unavoidable exceptions manually.

I understand, that a lot of people will just disable javascript, seeing as
libreJS can sometimes lead to firefox not responding at all, if a website loads
too much stuff (trisquel.info is a good example). The thing is, I want to blog
about free software, the importance of free licenses and in general record my
user experience trying out different solutions (like using Diaspora as a
replacement fro Facebook, or running free software only for all daily tasks, or
video/voice chat with people on Windows, something along these lines). It would
be self-contradictory to use javascript that is not free software.

> So if the website management system, which you’d set your choose on, will not
> fall back to a pure data interface in a sense of falling to nowhere instead
> \[https://kolab.org\], I am afraid that it will be perceived as unusable,
> with no regards to whether programs it relies on are free or not. Many will
> just remain unaware of that fact.

I can only second that. A website should be able to fall back to a usable
interface, if the client chooses to not run javascript. This is what I was also
focusing on. Apparently there is an almost perfect solution out there. There
are CMS systems that do not rely on javascript being run at the client. Like
jekyll for example. It looks amazing right now, almost done implementing all
the features I'd like to have for the beginning. However, I can still implement
some javascript to enhance the experience, just little fun animations here and
there, nothing that is necessary for using and reading the website. There will
be a notification on the site somewhere, that it supports libreJS and all the
script is free, so the user can enable it, if so desired.

> Falling to a screen that honestly explains that ‘management system’
> developers were not able to make a simple website, that does not even allow
> you to post anything, without relying on auxiliary program on client
> \[https://code.gov\]; or, all the more, thrusting a visitor to a nag page,
> that advertises to install a nonfree browser, not even bothering to preserve
> an original location \[https://vk.com\] — such things hardly help either.

That's not what I would consider a good practice either.

> So, if providing a standard way, that does not depends on any ad-hoc
> programs, to interact with all features your website, is indeed unfeasible,
> then, please, consider providing it to some extent, at the very least for
> reading the pages.

The good news is, it is absolutely feasible. I can have all the convenience of
a CMS (using pre-made themes that are easy to customize, not editing textfiles
over ssh on the server in order to post an update, but rather using a web
interface) and at the same time the whole website appears to be (on the client
side) only static .html files. Jekyll is a tool for generating static webpages
from a bunch of text files that use different markup languages. Jekyll supports
different plugins, themes and filters, which in effect allows for static
sidebars with navigation elements, multi-lingual websites, all the basic
positive things about a CMS without relying on javascript at all.

So, in such an environment, javascript can be used to enhance the experience,
add some animation to the menus for example, just fun little things that are
not really necessary for the basic interaction with the website.