Re: [Help-librejs] About non-free JavaScript files

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: [Help-librejs] About non-free JavaScript files
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 15:08:36 +0300

The FLOSS Information <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think there are non-free JavaScript files on my blog. It seems to be a bit
> difficult for me to throw them out because Disqus and Google Custom Search
> are offered on my content management system. What can I do?
>
> https://theflossinformation.gitlab.io/

You can stop using Google Custom Search and Disqus, of course.  As for Google,
the freedom-friendly replacement is rather straightforward, as Google _does_
allow you to embed their normal search (which, as you know, works well with no
any client-side programs), if you know the magic option.  MWE:

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
    <title>No-JS Google search for our site</title>
  </head>
    <form action="https://www.google.com/search"; method="get"
          target="search-results">
        <input type="hidden"
               name="igu" value="1"> <!-- The magic option -->
        <input type="hidden"
               name="gbv" value="1"> <!-- Freedom-friendly version -->
        <input type="hidden"
               name="newwindow" value="1"> <!-- Open links in a new window -->
        <input type="hidden"
               name="hl" value="tr"> <!-- Interface language -->
        <input type="hidden"
               name="q" value="site:theflossinformation.gitlab.io">
        <input type="search" name="q">
        <input type="submit" value="Search">
    </form>
    <iframe name="search-results"
            sandbox="allow-popups allow-popups-to-escape-sandbox">
    </iframe>
As for Disqus, I am not aware of any direct replacement.  The approach itself,
that is placing the initial post of the thread on your own website, while
outsourcing replies to it to some third-party network, actually, looks dubious
to me.