Re: ar problem...

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: ar problem...
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 09:16:10 -0500

%% Mark Besner <address@hidden> writes:

  mb> I freshly installed Solaris 8 on a sparc machine.  When I try to
  mb> install 'make' on it ( tries both the binary and the source code )
  mb> I always end up with a message saying the 'ar' is not installed.
  mb> This is true.  'ar' is not on my machine.  Where can I get it
  mb> from?

On Solaris, all the tools like ar, ld, make, nm, etc. are in
/usr/ccs/bin.  Make sure that's on your PATH before you configure and
build make.

Or, you could install GNU's binutils and use their ar.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/