Re: object file time-stamp

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: object file time-stamp
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 17:19:56 -0500

%% "Vasko Jordanov" <address@hidden> writes:

Please send just plain text to the list; no need for HTML or rich text.
Thanks!

  vj> I am a newbie to make .I need to know is there any way to
  vj> determine the time stamp WITHIN a make generated .o file?.( I
  vj> don't mean "ls" or visible time creation info.)  Let's say if a
  vj> certian object file is taken and tested through a router is it
  vj> possible the date and time of creation of this file to be embedded
  vj> in it through make?

I'm not 100% sure what you want to do, but I'm 99.9999% sure the answer
is "no".

Make doesn't know anything about object files or their formats.  It
doesn't parse them or interpret them in any way.  Make doesn't even
really know that a .o file is an object file; to make it's just a file
with a ".o" on the end.  It could be _anything_.  Make uses the
timestamp that the filesystem stores for the file, and that's it.

The _only_ file format that make parses is archives (libfoo.a), and
that's a very special case.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/