Re: gmake

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: gmake
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:37:43 -0500

%% Regarding gmake; you wrote:

  vk> Is "gmake" the same as make utility built from the sources from GNU
  vk> website?(sources under the label GNU make)

Yes.  Anyway, typically when people say "gmake" they mean GNU make.

On most OS's (except for Linux of course) the vendor supplies a "make"
program.  Often people don't want to install GNU make under its default
name of "make", since they want to be able to easily run both the vendor
make and GNU make, so the install it as "gmake" instead.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/