Re: "Batch-Mode" rules with Microsoft compile

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: "Batch-Mode" rules with Microsoft compile
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:55:52 -0500

%% John Skiff <address@hidden> writes:

  js> addPathData.cpp: ../include/evSysDep.h ../include/evutil.h [...]

  js> The above is modified and boiled down.  With the above changing an
  js> include file doesn't cause the source to recompile for some
  js> reason.

That's why I said:

  >> You need to declare that the .c files depend on the .h files (normally
  >> this isn't the right thing to do, but in this case you'll have to do it
  >> that way).  Use an empty rule.  Then make will imagine that the .c file
  >> was modified whenever one of the headers was modified, and it will get
  >> rebuilt.

Change your definitions to something like this:

 addPathData.cpp: ../include/evSysDep.h ../include/evutil.h [...] ;

(not trailing semicolon), or maybe this:

 addPathData.cpp: ../include/evSysDep.h ../include/evutil.h [...]
        @:

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/