Re: GNU make behavior question

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: GNU make behavior question
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:44:35 -0500

%% Paul Lew <address@hidden> writes:

  pl> Should make consider the prerequisite newer than target in case when
  pl> the file mod time for the prerequisite and the target are identical?

  pl> We have make file that uses 'cp -p' command to preserve file mod time.
  pl> The following is a simplified version of the makefile that illustrates
  pl> the problem:

  >> uname -a
  >> SunOS cns-build2 5.6 Generic_105181-16 sun4u sparc

I suspect you're running into issues with GNU make's sub-second
timestamp support.

See the last paragraph in GNU make's README file and see if that helps.

The next version of GNU make will remove the configure flag in
preference to a special psuedo-target that allows configuration of the
timestamp granularity on a per-target basis, which is a very nice
enhancement (contributed by Paul Eggert... thanks!)

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/