Re: Can't install "make"

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Can't install "make"
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 13:35:17 -0400

%% address@hidden writes:

  m> In this case what should I do? I'm using a RedHat 7.0 compatible
  m> Linux version (Winlinux), and I'm not very experienced with Linux
  m> yet.

You'll need to ask someone who's experienced with your Linux
installation; this mailing list is for help with GNU make.

  m> I tried to install gcc, but it asks for make, and tried to install
  m> make, but it asks for gcc. I'm clueless.

You don't need to build these tools from source, unless you really want
to.

You need a starting point.  You can't compile source code without a
compiler--even if it's the source code _of_ a compiler!  There's a
Catch 22 here, where you have to have a compiler to create a compiler.
You need a compiler before you can build _anything_ from source.

That's why Linux distributions ship packages that are pre-built binary
programs.  You should find the "gcc" binary (RPM) package for your Linux
distribution, and install that.  Don't install the source package
(SRPM).  The RPM will give you an already-built version of GCC.

You can also get pre-built binaries for GNU make (there's a "make" RPM
as well).  Then you don't need to compile it yourself.

If you _DO_ want to compile it yourself, you still need to install the
compiler as a binary package first.  Then you can use that to build your
own compiler, or GNU make, or whatever.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/