better dependency generation

From: Nicholas Charles Leippe
Subject: better dependency generation
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 10:47:29 -0600 (MDT)

> %% Nicholas Leippe <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   nl> I narrowed the problem down to some subtle issues with the dependency
>   nl> generation.  (*.d files)
>
> You should avoid that method of dependency generation.  It's difficult
> to work with (as you've discovered) and it also has other problems.
>
> See my web site below for a better method for handling automatic
> dependencies.

I have built my Makefile system based on the ideas presented
in Peter Miller's paper:

http://www.pcug.org.au/~millerp/rmch/recu-make-cons-harm.html

I'm pleased to have gotten this far :)

I read your page.  I am now (finally) building my dependencies
as described under 'Basic Auto-Dependencies', so that much of
the problem I have solved.  From your page, however, I now
understand that there is quite a bit more I can do for greater
efficiency.  My design goal is to be as efficient as possible-
-so I'll start looking at implementing the remedies you list.