Re: make or gmake

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: make or gmake
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 10:05:47 -0400

%% Richard CROCE <address@hidden> writes:

  rc> Im' not so much used with UNIX system. What's the difference
  rc> between make and gmake ?  I actually need gmake ( but not make),
  rc> what and how do I need to install exactly ?

"gmake" is a slang term for GNU make.  Some sites install the GNU make
program with the name "gmake" so that they can continue to use their own
system "make" program as well.

By default GNU make will install itself as /usr/local/bin/make.  You can
change the name of the program and/or the path of its installation
directory as you like.

Get the distribution from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/make/ (the latest is
make-3.79.1.tar.gz), then uncompress and untar it.  The information you
need to build it is in the README and INSTALL files in the
distribution.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/