Using GNU Make with LSF

From: Nestor Amaya
Subject: Using GNU Make with LSF
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:20:53 -0400

Hello,

I have tried to use the "-j" option of make along with LSF's "bsub" command.
For those not familiar with LSF, it is a commercial program that helps to
manage CPU farms - it submits your job to a queue, where it is then assigned
to the best available resource...

The problem is that the bsub command terminates once the job has been
submitted, and not once the job is complete. Therefore GNU make will think
that the job has completed prematurely, and the build will fail.

Platform Computing (the makers of LSF) does provide their modified version
of GNU Make (for $$$, of course) called "lsmake". This enables
parallel-builds via LSF.

I have two questions: For one, I am surprised that Platform Computing can
charge money for a program that is obviously built on top of the FSF's code:
GNU Make 3.77 to be exact. For another, I have to believe that there is a
way to make this work without having to purchase lsmake.

Thank you very much,

Nestor A. Amaya                     Catena Networks
I.C. Development                    307 Legget Drive
                                    Kanata, ON
voice 1: (613) 599-6430 x8255       K2K 3C8
voice 2: (613) 599-4166
    fax: (613) 599-0445