Re: phony targets and dependency files (*.d)

From: Alan Fitch
Subject: Re: phony targets and dependency files (*.d)
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 15:08:21 +0000

In message <address@hidden>,
Paul D. Smith <address@hidden> writes
>> The problem is that the phony target ultraclean, always insists on
>> creating the *.d files if they don't exist.
>
>Certainly.
>
>This doesn't have anything to do with phony targets.

Oh well, I now am at least sure that I don't understand make :-)
My question was inspired by knowing that the clean target did *not*
cause the .o files to be re-created - but that's obviously a red
herring, as I'm not including the .o files.

<snip all the good advice>

Thanks for the advice,

kind regards

Alan

--
Alan Fitch
DOULOS Ltd.

                   **  Developing design know-how  **

This e-mail and any  attachments are  confidential and Doulos Ltd. reserves
all rights of privilege in  respect thereof. It is intended for the  use of
the addressee only. If you are not the intended  recipient please delete it
from  your  system, any  use, disclosure, or copying  of this  document  is
unauthorised. The contents of this message may contain personal views which