Re: Colons in targets/dependencies

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Colons in targets/dependencies
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 15:34:58 -0500

The short answer is you can't.

Make doesn't deal with colons in names in any sane manner, and there's
no way to escape it.

If you build GNU make for DOS or Windows, there are special hacks
enabled to (try to) recognize drive names, where the pathname is one
alphabetic character followed by a colon, and not treat that colon as a
separator.

But, on UNIX or for any other format of filename you have no recourse.

The best you can do is substitute some well-known character for ":" in
your makefiles, then translate them when you actually want to use it in
a command script:

  http_//foo.bar :
        $(GET) $(subst _,:,$@)

or whatever (obviously _ is not a good choice but you get the idea).

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/