Re: per-target VPATH

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: per-target VPATH
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 09:55:32 -0500

%% __alex__ <address@hidden> writes:

  a> It seems that gmake doesn't take in account per-target VPATH
  a> variable.

Per-target variables are only available within the context of the
command script.  So, they are not available to make when it's searching
for prerequisites.

See the GNU make manual, section "Target Specific Variable Values".

  a> Having working pattern-specific VPATH would be even better. I
  a> wonder whether it's going to be implemented in future versions of
  a> gmake.

No, I have no plans to do this; the current behavior of target-specific
variables, as above, is the planned behavior going forward.

While Miller's article on recursive makefiles is interesting and raises
some excellent points, the thing that he _doesn't_ really bring out is
that writing non-recursive makefiles can be very hard.  In fact, in many
build environments with more complex requirements than simple
compile/link it's very difficult to do it without writing lots of
specific rules.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/