Re: makefile:640: *** missing separator. Stop.

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: makefile:640: *** missing separator. Stop.
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 09:19:13 -0500

%% "Van der Bloemen Mr. Tom" <address@hidden> writes:

  vdbmt> I'm running cygwin on Windows NT 4.0 and I'm using ActivePerl.
  vdbmt> I'm trying to install some modules using the standard perl
  vdbmt> Makefile.pl, make, make test etc.  I get the message above.
  vdbmt> I've read all about how to put a tab in front of the offending
  vdbmt> line.  When I add a tab, I get the same message, only for the
  vdbmt> next line.  When I add a tab to that line, I get the following
  vdbmt> message:

  vdbmt> I get exactly the same error any package I try to install.

  vdbmt> Any help you can provide would be greatly appreiciated.

There's nothing wrong with make; the makefile that is generated by Perl
is simply broken.

You should ask on a Perl mailing list or newsgroup how to get Perl to
generate a valid makefile; there's nothing we can say here about that.

Good luck...

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/