Not all intermediate files are removed

From: Gert-Jan Paulissen
Subject: Not all intermediate files are removed
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 11:55:51 +0200

Hi!

I have a problem with removing intermediate files.

This is the setup:
1) I have a working environment where source files can be found using vpath
(for each extension a different path)
2) I also have an archive environment where RCS archives can be found using
vpath (for each extension a different path)
3) The program foo depends on sources f1.c, f2.c and f3.c.
4) All (archive) sources can be found in the archive environment.
5) f1.c and f2.c are present in the working environment too.
6) The archive f1.c,v is newer than f1.c (archive has been touched), but
archive f2.c,v is older than f2.c

Now when I build foo in a temporary directory, the files f1.c and f3.c are
checked out using the archive.
File f1.c is checked out since its archive is newer than the working file.
Only f3.c is removed at the end.

What I really want is that files in the working environment are used instead of
being remade from the archive.
The archive should only be used as a last resort.
However, when that is not possible it is OK when all checked out files are
being removed at the end.

I have noticed that when I use the -W flag for (the full path of) f1.c, make
will not check out f1.c.
But when I have more than one such working file, this is too clumsy.

Tnx,

Gert-Jan Paulissen