Re: New feature wish list

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: New feature wish list
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 11:51:39 -0400

%% Stephen Huntley <address@hidden> writes:

  sh> 1.  Forward slashes on Windows.

  sh> I like that gnu make has so many cross-platform capabilities, but
  sh> the fact that on Windows the automatic variables always deliver
  sh> pathnames with backslashes even when using sh.exe is a major pain.
  sh> My rules are littered with expressions like $(subst \,/,$<).  I'd
  sh> like an option that causes automatic variables to deliver forward
  sh> slashes on Windows if sh.exe is being used as the shell.

To the best of my knowledge (which is not that great for Windows), make
simply provides file names as strings.  It certainly doesn't do any
slash manipulation.

In other words, if you write your filenames using forward slashes your
auto variables will contain forward slashes.