Pattern matching dependency problem

From: George Shaw
Subject: Pattern matching dependency problem
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 18:24:26 +0100

Hi,

I have a simple problem, but I can't seem to find an answer for it.

I have a variable list of files that I need to compile, so I would like to
build the list dynamically.  No problem doing this using wildcard, etc.  And
I process them using pattern matching.  But these files are dependent on
other files that have a similar, but not identical name.

If it were identical, I can use a rule:

   %.c: %.h

But in this case, I would like to do a subst on the dependency:

   %c: %(subst, from,to,%).h

This fails, as the subst is resolved before the stem.

Can anybody suggest a way I implement this in my makefile, for example
process a list of files cfgtfr_xxx.c each dependent on the file cfg_xxx.h,
where the string xxx is variable for each item in the list.

Thanks,

G.

---------------------------
George Shaw
Senior Software Engineer
Axway
a Sopra Group company
Tel: +44 (0) 7802 452186
Fax: +44 (0) 1454 299684
email: address@hidden
www.axway.com

Ce message est exclusivement destiné aux personnes dont le nom figure
ci-dessus. Il peut contenir des informations confidentielles dont la
divulgation est à ce titre rigoureusement interdite. Dans l'hypothèse où
vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, merci de le renvoyer à l'adresse
e-mail ci-dessus et de détruire toute copie.

This message may contain confidential and proprietary material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is
the sender and delete all copies.