Re: How to invoke startup and cleanup rules?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: How to invoke startup and cleanup rules?
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:35:06 -0500

%% "Peter Ring" <address@hidden> writes:

  pr> I'd like to have a startup rule invoked before any other rule, and
  pr> a cleanup rule invoked just before make exits. Something similar
  pr> to the BEGIN and END rules in awk; or something like constructors
  pr> and destructors in an OO language. What would be the most simple
  pr> and most robust way to accomplish this?

You can emulate a "begin" type rule with $(shell ...)

  _foo := $(shell ...my commands...)

There is no simple way to do an "end" type rule.  The best you can do is
use recursion, which is kind of messy.