Re: Help needed on implicit rule search/paths et al

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Help needed on implicit rule search/paths et al
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 16:58:23 -0500

%% Tristan Van Berkom <address@hidden> writes:

  tvb>  The first question I have is "is this list archived somewhere ?"

  tvb> I sincerely hope that I'm not writing this letter to /dev/null
  tvb> Maybe someone has had similar problems that can explain or maybe
  tvb> someone can point me to some usefull documentation before I start
  tvb> reading the source :S

First, please always remember to include the version of GNU make you're
using, and what operating system and version you're running it on.

Please also try full debugging, not just basic (use -d) and see what if
any other messages are printed between the "Must remake" and
"Successfully remade" messages.

Also, verify that the make variables $(mkobj) and $(mkdep) actually have
some content and value; if they are empty then make will obviously not
do anything with them.

If none of that helps please try to reproduce the problem with a small,
self-contained makefile and send it along so we can take a look.

Are you using VPATH anywhere?  I notice a message about VPATH below;
note that often people get confused about how VPATH actually works.