Re: Accessing a list by element (ie SRC= foo.c bar.c etc.c)

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Accessing a list by element (ie SRC= foo.c bar.c etc.c)
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 17:16:45 -0400

%% "Young, Ed" <address@hidden> writes:

  ye> It is similar to using the foreach construct to run commands over
  ye> a list of files but I want to treat certain ones (the first and
  ye> last) in the list differently. I therefore want to be able to
  ye> access the elements of the list.

  ye> I've looked in the tutorial and haven't found anything that allows
  ye> decomposition of a list.

Tutorial?

  ye> Can you point me in the right dirction?

Look at the GNU make manual.

You want to look in the chapter "Functions for Transforming Text", in
the section on "Functions for String Substitution and Analysis".

In particular, you want the $(wordlist ...) function, probably in
conjunction with the $(words ...) function.